Wednesday, April 6, 2011

April 6

Because the semester is coming to a close, and our departure date is drawing near, anxiety and fear have been creeping over my mind. Even after the prep class and tons of research, I still feel pretty unprepared and therefore apprehensive about going. At first I was really excited, and it just didn't hit me what this whole field study experience would actually entail. At first I didn't think it would be that big of a deal. I've lived abroad before, I've moved to places where I didn't know anybody, but it all doesn't seem to matter. I'm getting thrown into an island in the middle of the ocean where I don't know the language and it's pretty frightening!
After a few discussions on culture shock I didn't pay much attention because I felt like I wouldn't experience that or that I knew how to handle my stress. Now that I'm freaking out a little bit, I realize that I will most likely experience culture shock, and I know I'll experience a lot of stress and frustration due to culture shock, and a lot of it will come from not being able to control things like I do here. Things I'm going to need: patience, understanding, optimism and positive thinking.
I'm going to need patience to be able to let things go that bother me, and be able to move on and just learn to love what I've got. Understanding, because the better I understand and want to know the culture, the less stressed out it will be living in a foreign place. Optimism and positive thinking are things that I need because having your attitude is about 95% of your experience, and about 5% what actually happens to you.
Hopefully by being prepared for culture shock, I will be able to have a better experience abroad and not have a total meltdown while I'm there!

No comments:

Post a Comment